CITY OF DARLINGTON JOBS
WORKING FOR THE CITY
City of Darlington Jobs and applications may be found here. Contact City Hall for more information. City jobs may be found on Indeed, when available.
The City of Darlington is an equal opportunity employer that does not to discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability, or age.
WORKING IN RECREATION
Athletic Assistant. This is a provisional appointment. The athletic assistant shall assist in the development/implementation and supervision of recreation programs, sports leagues, special programs/projects and other activities for all patrons. FULL DETAILS.
Maintenance Worker. The Maintenance Worker is responsible for performing general maintenance duties at assigned City parks, trails, open space, and other grounds This job may require shifts ranging from morning to evening hours, weekends and holidays. FULL DETAILS.
WORKING IN OTHER PARTS OF THE CITY
This person will work under direct supervision of the City Planner and Beautification Board. They will work on general upkeep and maintenance of welcome areas, decorated medians, and other beautified rights-of-way.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for landscaping maintenance of various City property and entrances
- Responsible for pruning removal of small trees and shrubs
- Coordinates the application of pesticides and other chemicals
- Review effectiveness of chemicals applied
- Reviews completed work to determine quality of work
- Responsible for grass cutting and weed eating in designated public rights-of-way as assigned
- Responsible for watering of plants on public right-of-way and the flowers pots on the Public Square
- Plans, assigns, and directs inmate work when they are assigned to the work crew
- Responsible for conducting work activities while supervising the inmate workers
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Darlington County Prison Farm’s policies and applicable laws
- Other duties as assigned by the City Planner or City Manager
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- High School or general educational degree (GED)
- One to three years’ experience working in landscaping or a similar field
- Must possess required knowledge, skills, and experience to be able to explain and demonstrate the essential functions of the job
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence
- Ability to carry out common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees and supervisor
- Basic carpentry or mechanical skills a plus
Required License or Certificates
- Must possess a South Carolina driver’s license
- Must obtain pesticide application license within two years of employment
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Reasonable accommodation will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job
- Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying 40+ pounds
- Visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination, and manual dexterity necessary to operate equipment. Subject to sitting, standing, reaching, walking, twisting, and kneeling to perform essential functions.
- Working conditions will include both indoor and outdoor work
- The employee may occasionally be exposed to moving mechanical parts or fumes and airborne particles. The noise level may be loud.
- Full time or part-time positions available
- Daylight hours, Monday through Friday, with occasional Saturday work required
Deadline to Apply: August 31, 2020
Send cover letter and resume to City Planning, P.O. Box 57, Darlington, SC 29540, or email email@example.com
Qualified Candidate must be efficient and knowledgeable using computers and familiar with current technologies.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to: processing application for permit issuance, answer the telephone professionally, draft all department correspondence, maintain the departments schedule, update social media accounts, reconcile all payables and receivables submitting to the accounting department. This position reports directly to the building official.
Experience using Word, Excel, and Publisher are preferred; but, we are willing to train the right candidate.
This position is part-time to start; but, has the ability to grow into a full-time position.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $10.00 per hour-time
CLASS B CDL
Drivers operate heavy-duty trucks and must safely maneuvers vehicle in residential environments. Navigates high traffic and congested roadways, driveways, alleyways, and lots. Drivers may get in and out of the truck each stop. This is a very physical position. You must be able and willing to drive any truck in the fleet (residential garbage truck, cherry picker, vactor truck etc). Being on time is essential and we are team oriented.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Operates vehicle in accordance with City of Darlington’s Best Practices, OSHA. (Occupational and Safety Health Act) and DOT (Department of Transportation) requirements as well as all local, municipal, state, and federal laws.
- Performs pre- and post-trip inspections of assigned equipment and documents checks on standard DVIR (Driver Vehicle Inspection Report.).
- Immediately reports any unsafe situations or service related issues to management
- Attends and participates in all scheduled training programs, briefings, and meetings required by Director of Street & Sanitiation.
- Works closely with the Office Manager to improve route efficiencies and identify best practices.
- Notifies Office Manager of any incidents, accidents, injures, or property damage.
- Notifies Office Manager of, street, alleyways or potential safety hazards.
- Communicates customer requests to the office manager.
- Identifies and reports all containers in need of repair or replacement
- Completes and submits customer tickets as required.
- Positions and / or returns container on the customer’s property in a manner that ensures lids and or doors are properly replaced, and do not block driveway entrances or traffic.
- Follows route assignments as directed and completes end of day documentation and the check out process.
- Performs all duties as scheduled by management and assisting other team members as directed to meet the city’s needs.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
- Education: CDL required
- Experience: 1 Year CDL driving experience, a CDL permit does not meet the requirements for this position.
- Commercial Drivers License B (CDL)
- Legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Successfully complete pre-employment DOT drug screen, physical, and background check, which will include previous employment check, criminal history and motor vehicle record review.
- Preferred experience driving a manual transmission
- Waste or garbage industry experience a plus
Listed below are key points regarding the physical requirements, and work environment of the job. A reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with arm, hand, finger, and leg dexterity.
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects more than 50+ pounds frequently.
- Requires pushing, pulling, bending, twisting and lifting up to 50+ lbs.
- Normal setting for this job is outdoors and/or driving a video/GPS monitored vehicle.
- Will be exposed to a physical environment, which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements most of the workday.
Note: The level of physical effort may vary from site to site and in some cases be greater or lesser than documented here.
Job Type: Full-time
We are currently seeking an Equipment Operator. Utilize the tools and equipment to assist and/or operate, perform general diagnostics, maintenance and repair of city owned equipment including but not limited: to Vactor Truck,Backhoe, Trackhoe, Cherry Picker, & Street Sweeper.
- Personal vehicle for transportation to and from work
- Knowledge of DOT regulations including DVIR reporting procedures, permit guidelines, Waste Hauler Permit General Conditions, proper disposal guidelines as prescribed by SCDHEC
- Working knowledge and understanding of waste systems including grease interceptors, storm water management facilities, oil/sand interceptors, ejector systems, septic tanks and sewer lines
- Minimum of 1 yr experience with the ability to demonstrate skill in the operation of one or more pieces of equipment
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Valid SC Drivers License
- Active SC CDL is preferred but not required
- GED or High School Diploma
- Ability to obtain confined space safety certification
Salary & Benefits
Job Type: Full-time
OTHER AGENCY LINKS
WORKING FOR THE POLICE DEPARTMENT
Position Category: Patrol Officer
Position hours: Full-time position. 12-hour rotating shifts
- Responds to emergency police situations
- Performs community-oriented proactive law enforcement work involving a variety of general or support duty assignments
- Drives or walks to observe illegal or suspicious activities
- Must be 21 years of age and possess a high school diploma or equivalent
- Must possess a valid SC driver’s license
- Must possess or able to obtain certification from South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy
Pay info: Salary based on certification status, education and experience
Applications should be filled out completely, in the applicant’s handwriting. It should also contain a current, color photograph, and must contain a copy of the following:
SC Driver’s License
Social Security Card
High School Diploma or GED
Military Records or Form DD214, if applicable
You may very easily complete our online application above and submit electronically. All required documents aforementioned are required at time of submission. Please email these to Assistant Chief Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For your convenience, you may also access an application packet here or pick up an Application packet at the Darlington Police Department 400 Pearl Street, Darlington. To request a copy via mail, please call (843) 398-4026.
For application or job position questions, please reach out to the Police Department at (843) 398-4026.