The City of Darlington Codes Enforcement Office handles zoning ordinances, restoration approval for historical homes, commercial codes and more.
The Codes Enforcement Officer offers building permits at 400 Pearl Street. Permits are required for any work over $200.
Permits are required for any work done within the City limits, including construction, repairs, and demolition.
Separate permits must be obtained for building, structural, mechanical, plumbing, and electrical work.
To obtain a permit, each contractor on a job needs to obtain a city business license and submit a contract to the Codes Enforcement Office. They are also required to have a state license.
Plans should be submitted to the Codes Enforcement Office. Review the Commercial Site Plan Review Checklist found on this page for more information.
Upon building inspection, these common items will be checked for compliance:
- Panel Box properly labeled
- Pan under hot water heater
- Exit signs at all doors
- Cover plates on all receptacles and switches
- No raw wires showing
- Updated Fire Extinguisher
- Fire Alarms
- No extension cords being used for permanent wiring
- 4″ lettering adhered to the front of the house for E-911 and mailing purposes
- Full Text of Zoning Ordinances
- City of Darlington Floodlight Shielding & Aiming Criteria 45 degrees
- City of Darlington Floodlight Shielding & Aiming Criteria 60 degrees
- Commercial Site Plan Review Checklist
- Plat Review Checklist
- Land Development Ordinance Article 1-2, Article 3-4, Article 5, Article 6-7
- Application for Certificate of Appropriateness
- Application for Certificate of No Effect
- Application for Zoning Compliance
- Building Permit Application & Building Permit Fee Schedule
- Housing Preservation Grant (HPG) Program Application
405 SECOND ST 165-07-04-012
409 FIRST ST 165-07-04-043
502 WASHINGTON ST 165-10-01-098
218 EDWARDS ST 165-06-03-005
Full List of Properties Slated for Demolition
406 GUESS ST 165-11-01-008
407 GUESS ST 165-11-01-014
323 EDWARDS ST 165-07-08-032
123 WILSON ST 165-02-04-043
308 EDWARDS ST 165-06-03-024
109 COTTON ST 165-01-02-037
108 SHOSHONE DR 184-00-01-023
144 BACOTE ST 165-11-03-082
115 SPARKS ST 165-12-02-091
206 CHESTNUT ST 165-07-07-044
143 SPARKS ST 165-08-01-076
S MAIN ST 165-07-05-035
404 SECOND ST 165-07-04-013
1125 S MAIN ST 165-12-01-031
104 MCINNIS ST 165-11-03-051
111 GROVE ST 165-02-02-081
383 W BROAD ST 165-06-02-008
1328 S MAIN ST 165-16-01-013
304 DARLINGTON AVE 165-02-03-038
155 TALLULAH ST 165-09-03-040
143 TALLULAH ST 165-09-03-034
1125 S MAIN ST 165-12-01-031
Considering improvements for your historic home?
If you are in one of the City’s historic districts OR your home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, you will need approval from the Historic Landmarks Commission prior to making any changes. Submit an Application for a Certificate of Appropriateness, and staff will schedule a meeting for the commission to review your request. The fee for this application is $65, payable to City of Darlington, at the time of application. This covers the cost of notification and advertisement of the meeting as required by state law.
If you are not making any changes to your historic property but simply need to make repairs or paint, submit an Application for a Certificate of No Effect prior to beginning work. There is no fee for this application.
For both applications, supporting data (sketches, drawings, photo or snapshot, architect’s plans, site plan, etc.) must be submitted.