South Carolina’s 50 Top Cities for Fit Lifestyles 2020
The City of Darlington came in at #8 on BarBend’s 2020 list of South Carolina’s Top Cities for Fit Lifestyles. Darlington’s fit score came in at 76.12, based on exercise opportunities, access to healthy foods, obesity rate and other factors. For more details, visit the BarBend website
The City of Darlington has a host of recreation opportunities for its citizens, including two gymnasiums, a city pool, tennis courts, parks, and more. The Darlington Recreation Department offers many activities for children and adults, including basketball, football, baseball, softball, and soccer.
The main office for the department is located at 300 Sanders Street in the Harmon Baldwin Recreation Center. Contact Darlington Area Recreation by telephone (843) 398-4030, fax (843) 398-4031, or email ParksandRecreation@darcosc.net.
- Adult Softball League: Ages 16 and older. League fee = $200 and a case of league balls. Register by Sept. 25.
- Flag Football
- FCA Softball League: Open to girls in 8&U, 10&U, 12&U, and 13 and older. Cost: $25 per player, includes Bible and jersey shirt. Register by Sept. 25. In Hartsville call John or Eric at 843-339-2878, in Darlington call Brantley or Stephanie at 843-398-4030, in Lamar call Chris at 843-992-4480, or call the Pee Dee FCA Rep Daniel Henderson at 843-851-6869 or FCA Director John “Bootsie” Griggs at 843-307-1106.
- Sole Line Dancing with Walli B.: Participate in dances you already know plus learn fun new line dances. No RSVP needed. 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday nights at 300 Sanders St., Darlington. Free.
- Tennis Lessons: Weekly 45-minute session $20
- Zumba Classes: Fitness Class with Amber from 6:15 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays at 300 Sanders St., Darlington. $5 per class.
We need volunteers just like you! Apply Now!
PARKS & PLAYGROUNDS
- A.W. “Man” Stanley Gymnasium, 100 Magnolia Street
- Bill Cain Tennis Complex, Corner of Orange & Liberty Streets
- Blue Street Ball Fields, Blue Street between Spring & North Main Streets
- Bowen Manor Park, Old Florence Hwy between Avenue D & Third Street
- Darlington Veterans Memorial Park, Main Street at Orange Street
- Fallen Officers Memorial, South Main Street at Avenue D
- Frank & Mary Sue Wells Park, Corner of South Main Street & Avenue A
- Gandy Swimming Pool, 115 Gary Street
- Hampton Street Park, Corner of Hampton & Russell Streets
- Psillos Garden, North Main Street between Darlington Library & Swift Creek
- Sgt. Terrence Carraway Memorial Park, Corner of Southern Pines & Kirven Streets
- Virgil Wells Stadium, Corner of Magnolia & Bacote Streets
- Welch Stadium, 400 Wells Street behind Brunson Dargan Elementary
- West End Memorial Park, Pearl Street at Cleveland
- Williamson Park, Spring Street at Williamson Park Drive
Play BINGO and meet new friends! First Monday of the Month at 10 a.m. at Harmon Baldwin Recreation Center
Zumba with Amber Washington Cost: $5 per class 6 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays
Low Impact Aerobics will be held from 9:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday morning at Harmon Baldwin Recreation Center, 300 Sanders St., taught by Crystal Gibson. Free. Info: 843-398-4030.
Dance with Patsy Hathcock: 843-393-4766.
Boxing with One More Round: 843-639-0096, 843-307-5116 or 843-307-6800
Exercise Room: Open during Normal Gym Hours at Harmon Baldwin Recreation Center, 300 Sanders St. Free.
The Good Times Band: Anyone who loves to sing or play an instrument is invited to join. The band performs in nursing homes and senior church groups in the area as well as for Christmas. Info: Jay Black 843-393-2465