welcome to the city of darlington
city hall: Monday - Friday 830AM - 5PM

DARLINGTON HISTORICAL DISTRICT

The City of Darlington contains an impressive collection of late nineteenth and twentieth century architecture, displaying heritage and incredible craftsmanship.

There are five historical districts in the City.  The county has three others to explore.

  • Cashua Street – Spring Street Historic District: The Cashua Street-Spring Street District is a significant collection of intact residences constructed between 1890 and 1930.  The architectural styles include Victorian, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival and Bungalow.  (map)
  • Downtown Historic District:  The Darlington Downtown Historic District is significant for its high level of architectural integrity and as an illustration of the significant periods of prosperity and building in Darlington. The district includes a collection of 21 contributing, intact commercial buildings associated with the growth of Darlington from 1870 to 1935. Many of these buildings are home to area businesses, including law firms, retail outlets, and churches. (map)
  • Industrial Historic District:  The Darlington Industrial Historic District is significant as an intact collection of resources which were important in the history of Darlington in the areas of transportation, agriculture, industry and commerce during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The district contains thirteen contributing industrial buildings, structures, and sites which were constructed between 1890 and 1935 and six noncontributing properties. (map)
  • St. John’s Historic District:  The St. John’s Historic District contains a concentration of late nineteenth and early twentieth century vernacular buildings, including residential, religious, and educational examples.  The district consists of approximately nineteen properties of particular historical or architectural significance and thirty-six supporting properties. (map)
  • West Broad Street Historic District:  The West Broad Street Historic District is a significant collection of intact residences which were constructed between 1890 and 1928. Most of the residences are grand in scale and reflect the prosperity of the individuals who built them. Several of the houses were owned by some of Darlington’s most prominent citizens.  Most of the residences are large, two-story frame Victorian or Queen Anne structures with decorative woodwork. A number of these residences were designed and built by architect and master carpenter Lawrence Reese. (map)

To view individual properties, and architectural surveys completed for the South Carolina State Historic Preservation Office for submission to the National Register of Historic Places, click here.

New Digital Guidebook to South Carolina Historical Markers

The South Carolina Historical Marker Program is pleased to announce a digital Guidebook to South Carolina Historical Markers for Winter 2019 is now online. The guidebook includes the text of all state historical markers approved by SCDAH since the program’s establishment over 80 years ago, as well as lists of markers by select subjects and time periods, an FAQ section, and application information. For more information on the Historical Marker Program, please contact Edwin Breeden at ebreeden@scdah.sc.gov, 803-896-6182.

410 Pearl St. - Downtown Historic District

Julius Dargan House

Circa 1856

Once owned by Darlington Attorney and SC State Rep. Julius Dargan, the Greek Revival architecture is a symbolism of bounty and economic prosperity, as seen in the balustrade design. This type of architecture style appealed to the wealthy, asserting their position. The house was acquired by the City of Darlington in 1999 and restored in 2003.

215 St. Johns St. - St. Johns Historic District

Judge E.C. Dennis Home

Circa 1911

Once owned by highly regarded Darlington Judge, E.C. Dennis, this Neoclassical Revival home was designed by an English architect. Mighty oak trees dating back to origin overhang the property.

127 N. Main St. - St. Johns Historic District

Darlington Library

Circa 1921

Built with funds donated by the Carnegie Foundation, this library was one of 3 public libraries in the state. It was enlarged in the 1950s.

114 Sanders St. - St. Johns Historic District

Moses Sanders House

Circa 1832

Moses Sanders was a merchant and a Representative of the Darlington District from 1808-1810. He was part of the group to petition the General Assembly for free schools in the state of South Carolina. The Moses Sanders House stands two stories, in a traditional form, with an L-shaped porch and defining entranceway for the day.

209 Avenue E

Edmund Deas House

Circa 1890

Edmund Deas served as Chairman of the Republican Party of Darlington County from 1884-1888. An African-American candidate for Congress in 1884 and 1890, Deas was deputy collector of Internal Revenue in SC 1889-1894 and 1897-1901. The eastlake motif of his Queen Anne style home lends vernacular expressions and was the most popular style of the period.

120 Edwards Ave

Wilds-Edwards House

Circa 1856

Built by Col. Samuel H. Wilds, the Italianate style was popular for the period in railroad towns and urbane clients. The house was purchased from the Wilds estate in 1870 by the Hon. Berryman Wheeler Edwards, a graduate of Harvard Law School (1853), Confederate veteran, and state senator (1886–89). It is most commonly referred to as the Wilds-Edwards House. Today, with restoration and care, it is offered as a guest house and venue to host events.

129 Russell St. - Darlington Industrial Historic District

Charleston & Western Carolina Railway Station

Circa 1911

Built by African American master carpenter, Lawrence Reese, the railway serviced routes from McBee to Darlington. This became a major mode of transportation for the county and brought economic growth. Today, the railway station is now home to a privately owned business.

400 Pearl St. - Downtown Historic District

Charles McCullough House

Circa 1889

The Charles McCullough house is a noteworthy example of a Second Empire style, with Italianate design and eastlake details. Original owner, Charles McCullough, was a partner in the McCullough & Blackwell Livery Stable business and director of the Darlington Agricultural & Mechanical Fair Company. He also served as a sergeant in the Darlington Guards. The house remained in the McCullough family until the early 1940s when it was donated to the City of Darlington. This is one of the few remaining large residences on Pearl Street.

Corner of W. Broad & Edwards - Broad Street Historic District

Mrs. W.F. Early House

Circa 1890

The Early House is one of several Victorian-era residences. African American master craftsman, Lawrence Reese, who was self-taught in his trade, built this incredible architectural home for Mrs. Early. Her husband was in the cotton seed oil business. This house, that sits on West Broad Street, is grand in scale and reflects the prosperity of The Early family.

S. Main St.

Macedonia Mission Baptist Church

Circa 1866

The Macedonia Mission Baptist Church was established when a group of African American members withdrew from the Darlington Baptist Church with a great passion to start their own church. Rev. Isaac Brockenton, first pastor of the church, served until his death in 1908. Tradition says first meetings of this Baptist Church were held in the home of Laura Brown, under a ``bushy arbor`` and other member's homes. Rev. Brockenton was able to see Macedonia build and occupy 2 buildings before his death in 1908. Several powerfully inspirational pastors have led the Macedonia congregation - through raising funds and sacrifice, the group pulled together and was able to purchase land on the corner of S. Main and Lee Streets. In 1935, 13 years after the foundation was laid, the faithful congregation were able to worship in the brick building that exists today. Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church continues to be a vital part of the spiritual aspect of life in Darlington and the surrounding areas.

131 St. Johns St. - St. Johns Historic District

Haynsworth House

Circa 1895

William Haynsworth, original owner of this Colonial Revival home, served as city Mayor and President of the People's Bank of Darlington. He was also a member of the board of trustees of St Johns School, and was instrumental in the water-works system of Darlington. Haynsworth died in 1932 and the Darlington County School District purchased the home in 1943 for use as a teacherage. The stately home, with its grand columns, was nicknamed ``White House.`` It was used for various district operations until 2008. The ``White House`` still stands today by St Johns School.

216 S. Main St.

First Baptist Church

Circa 1831

The First Baptist Church of Darlington was organized in 1831, with Rev. W.Q. Beattie serving as pastor. The congregation first called itself the Baptist Church of Christ and built its first building in 1830. The original church was replaced in 1859 and the church bells from this second church were melted and used to cast cannons during the Civil War. The present building, a Georgian Revival style, was built in 1912. It is said to have cost $33,000 to build. It was that year that they formally became known as the First Baptist Church of Darlington. The cemetery to the back of the property dates back to the 1820's. Over the years, there has been steeple repair, new buildings built to house Sunday School, recreation and a fellowship hall. The First Baptist Church of Darlington continues to move forward and serve the Lord through missions and community programs.

283 Cashua St- Cashua/Spring Street Historic District

Willis McCurdy House

Circa 1892

The Willis McCurdy House is an elaborate Queen Anne style home, which was most popular for the time period. Acorn motifs and eastlake-style embellishments can be seen to this day. Original owner, Willis McCurdy, owned an Armory Wholesale business located where the News & Press is today. The Willis McCurdy House was known as the ``Drummer's Home`` in the early 1900s where salesman would find a room while on their travels. The A.S. Dargan family acquired the home in 1930.

Pearl St. - Downtown Historic District

M. Manne Building

Circa 1892

The M. Manne Building is one of the most successful mercantile establishments in Darlington. The metal facade building was established in 1892, after a disastrous fire destroyed most of the business sector of the city. In the early 1900s, it housed a succession of stores on the first floor and a hotel on the second floor. Today, it houses an eating establishment.

141 Oak St

B.F. Williamson House

Circa 1898

The B.F. Williamson House is a Queen Anne style home with an original servant's cottage on the property. It is one of the few remaining intact residences from the time period on Oak Street. It is said that Benjamin Franklin Williamson built the house for his mother, Mrs. B.F Williamson, and his sister. Dr. Wilson of Darlington purchased the house from the family and it is now also known as the Williamson-Wilson House.

38 S. Main St. - Downtown Historic District

Coleman Building

Circa 1903

The Coleman Building is a commercial building with Classical influences and a center panel that reads COLEMAN BLOCK. The longest occupant of the Coleman Building was Willcox Drugs, who rented the space 1933-1994. On the upper floors over the years, various lawyers and doctors set up their offices.

The ground floor currently houses the Greater Darlington Chamber of Commerce.